Trends & Statistics
- Radio, one of the most preferred engagement media among Malaysians, reaches around 20 million people which makes up 95% of the population in Peninsular Malaysia.
- Results revealed that breakfast shows (Monday to Friday, 6AM to 10AM) and drive time shows (Monday to Friday, 4PM to 8PM) continue to garner the highest listenership, accounting for 13.8 million and 12.9 million listeners respectively. Breakfast shows reported a rise in weekly reach from 13.6 million in the previous survey conducted first half of the year (Wave 1 2018 survey) to 13.8 million listeners in Wave 2 2018 survey.
- It also shows that radio is reaching more of the younger listeners, with those from the 20-29 age group increasing by 30,000 to hit 4.46 million in weekly reach, mostly attributed to the popularity of breakfast and evening shows.
- In particular, over 3.03 million, some 104,000 more from the 20-29 age group tuned in weekly to breakfast shows, while evening shows also attracted around 91,000 more young listeners in the 10-29 age group, to total 4.12 million listeners.
- Among all the different languages, Bahasa Malaysia stations are most popular with radio audiences, tuned in by over 3 in 5 Malaysians. These stations together have a weekly reach of 62.7% (13.1 million listeners).
- They are trailed by the Chinese stations with 20.7% (4.3 million listeners), followed by English stations at 20.6% (4.3 million listeners) and Tamil stations at 6.8% (1.4 million listeners).
- 20 million (95%) Malaysians tune in to radio. 17.7 million (89%) out of 20 million listeners are residing in urban areas while rural areas captured 2.2 million (11%) listeners.
- 14.2 million, 14.6 million and 2.7 million Malaysians tune into radio at home, inside the car and during work respectively. Listeners who tune into the radio in the car increased by 2.3% and listeners at work showed the highest increase by 19.2% in comparison with the previous wave.
- The Central region remains the highest concentration of radio listeners (7.2 million pairs of ears). 4.9 million are from Selangor, 1.4 million from Kuala Lumpur and 0.9 million from Negeri Sembilan.
- The North region has the second highest concentration of radio listeners (5.5 million pairs of ears). 2.1 million are from Perak, 1.9 million from Perlis/Kedah and 1.4 million from Penang.
- The South region and East Coast region have 3.7 million and 3.5 million listeners respectively. Johor has 3 million listeners while Malacca has 0.7 million listeners. Kelantan, Pahang and Terengganu have 1.4 million, 1.2 million and 0.9 million listeners respectively.
(Source: GfK RAM Wave 2 2018)